Car Accidents: We Can Help You Obtain Fair Compensation For Your Injuries

It’s hard to believe how much a car accident can change your life. What starts with an event lasting a few seconds can turn into a problem that lingers for years.

Even if you can fully recover from the physical pain and disruption to your family, you may still have to experience the calculated, cold-hearted treatment you receive from the negligent party’s insurance company. Some insurers may literally add insult to injury by denying your claim or making lowball offers to make you go away. In some cases, insurance companies have to be sued aggressively before they will pay fair compensation to motor vehicle accident victims.

Answers To Your Car Accident Questions

If you or a loved one were hurt in a car accident, you should talk to a personal injury lawyer right away. Our firm can answer important and frequently asked questions like the ones below.

Below are questions we are commonly asked about car accidents. For additional information or to schedule a free initial consultation, call our office at 812-558-0198 or contact us online now.

What should I do when I’ve been in a car accident?

1. Call the police
2. Call for medical assistance
3. Take photos if you can
4. Call your insurance company

How should I handle car damages?

You should contact your vehicle insurance company immediately to determine how to proceed. If you don’t have collision coverage, the wrongdoer’s insurance company can help you resolve your vehicle damage. We can help you determine the cost of damages, which includes cost of repair, fair market value if the car is totaled, or loss of use or diminished value costs.

How long does it take to reach a car accident settlement?

Injury cases can range from minor to complex. The more serious the injury, the longer it typically takes to resolve. While your attorney will give you a better picture of how long the case may take based on your situation’s specific circumstances, many car accident claims take one to two years to complete. Once a settlement is reached, plaintiffs typically receive payment in six to eight weeks.

Can I sue for emotional distress after a car accident?

Yes, because emotional distress would constitute pain and suffering that resulted from the crash. This is part of your losses that are compensable by the negligent driver and their insurance company, or your own insurer, depending on the situation’s details.

How can I prove my pain and suffering?

There are many ways in which pain and suffering can be proved in a car accident claim. Evidence of your injury and the resulting pain from medical professionals who evaluated you and are treating you are exceptional documents to be included. Also, reports from psychologists or therapists that describe the mental impact the crash had on you are important. Photos of injuries can be persuasive, as the visual impact of the accident cannot be denied.

When should I call an attorney for a car accident?

The sooner you contact a lawyer after an accident, the better. However, it is important that you first seek medical attention for any immediate injuries. After you have been evaluated and treated, you should reach out to an attorney to get the process started. Your attorney can help you understand what steps to take next, what information they need about the situation and what you can expect from their representation.

How much do lawyers charge for car accident cases?

The majority of car accidents and other personal injury cases are handled on a contingency fee basis. This means that your lawyer will not cost you anything until a settlement is received. The lawyer will then take a percentage of the settlement, as well as any costs they incurred as part of the preparative and investigative work for the case.

Do I have to pay taxes on a settlement?

This depends. Your lawyer will advise you if your case settlement is taxable.

Call For Free Guidance From An Experienced Attorney

Don’t make the same mistake as others — talking to an insurance company without first speaking to an experienced car accident attorney. At Greene & Schultz in Bloomington, Indiana, we know how insurers work and we help clients understand that insurance companies are not on their side. They hope you will make an incriminating statement that justifies their decision to not pay you fair compensation.

Let us deal with the insurance companies for you. We have the experience you need to persuade insurers to fully compensate you for your losses — through negotiation and, when necessary, litigation. Contact us today at 812-558-0198​ for a free consultation about your case.