What Constitutes Medical Malpractice?
Medical malpractice means that an action or lack of action caused injury or death to a patient because a doctor, nurse, hospital, medical clinic, or any other individual or entity licensed to provide medical services either:
- Did something that a competent medical professional would not have done
- Failed to do something that a competent medical professional would have done
A study by the Institute of Medicine reported in the Journal of the American Medical Association found that as many as 98,000 people die in American hospitals each year from preventable medical errors.
Another study by Harvard University shows that 1% of all patients in America are victims of medical malpractice when they receive medical care - a staggering number when multiplied by the number of people treated at all of the medical facilities across the country each day. Other, more recent studies place the risk of being a victim of medical malpractice much higher than in the past.
Indiana And Illinois Medical Malpractice Attorneys
If you or a loved one has suffered harm because of medical malpractice In Indiana or Illinois, you may be entitled to file a lawsuit to seek compensation for your losses. Due to their extremely complicated nature, these types of cases should only be litigated by competent and dedicated legal counsel.
Examples of medical malpractice can include:
- Delay of treatment for a diagnosed medical condition
- Failure to diagnose a medical condition
- Emergency Room errors and/or negligence
- Birth trauma
- Failure to obtain informed consent from the patient prior to treatment
- Failure to provide the proper treatment for a medical condition
- Misdiagnosis of a medical condition
Contact us today to speak with a capable, caring attorney who can evaluate your case, inform you of your legal rights and options and help obtain the necessary resources for your case. Call 812-558-0198 today for a free initial consultation.