Betsy K. Greene
Born 1957; admitted to the bar, October, 15, 1982, Indiana; also admitted to practice before the U.S. Supreme Court, U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit and 6th Circuit, U.S. District Court, Northern and Southern Districts of Indiana. Preparatory education: Indiana University (B.A., 1979); legal education: Indiana University (J.D., 1982). Deputy Prosecuting Attorney, Morgan County, Indiana, 1983 and Chief Deputy Prosecuting Attorney 1985 to 1988.
Member: Monroe County, Morgan County, Indiana State and 7th Circuit Bar Associations; Indiana Trial Lawyers Association; the Association of Trial Lawyers of America and The American Board of Trial Advocates. Ms. Greene also serves on the Indiana Supreme Court Committee on character and fitness.
Ms. Greene joined Nunn & Kelley Law Office in 1988 and was a partner from 1990 until leaving to start her own firm in February, 2005. Nunn & Greene Law Office concentrated solely on injury cases. Since June 1, 2005, Ms. Greene has been a partner in the law firm of Greene & Schultz Trial Lawyers, representing those injured or killed by negligence. Ms. Greene has personally tried over 100 jury trials in her career.
Ms. Greene has been a member of the Indiana Trial Lawyers since 1989 and a director since 1992. Ms. Greene is a frequent speaker at Indiana Trial Lawyers Association seminars. Ms. Greene has written for and spoken at a number of Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum seminars. Ms. Greene is also Past President of the Indiana American Board of Trial Advocates, Indiana Chapter (2005), and Past President of the Monroe County Bar Association (2005). Ms. Greene has been inducted into the Indiana Trial Lawyers Association' College of Fellows and is an Emeritus Director of the Indiana Trial Lawyers Board of Directors.
Ms. Greene received her first certificate in Civil Trial Advocacy from the National Board of Trial Advocacy on November 21, 1995. Ms. Greene was certified again on November 22, 2000 and certified again on November 21, 2005 and is currently one of forty certified trial lawyers in the State of Indiana. Ms. Greene has earned Advocate status in the Association of Trial Lawyers of America's National College of Advocacy. In addition to the board certification, Ms. Greene an AV rating from Martindale-Hubble, the national lawyer rating service.
In August, 2005, Ms. Greene graduated from the Gerry Spence Trial Lawyers College. The Trial Lawyer's College is an intensive three week course in trial advocacy conducted at Thunderhead Ranch in Dubois, Wyoming. She has attended four other Trial Lawyer College workshops. She is President-Elect of the Trial Lawyers College Alumni Board.
Ms. Greene was selected as an Indiana Super Lawyer by Law and Politics Magazine (selected as among the top 5% of practicing Indiana attorneys in a peer review and evaluation process) for the first time in 2004. She has been named to that same list every year since. In 2017, she was featured a Top 10 attorney by the same magazine.
In March 2017, Ms. Greene was appointed to the Board of Visitors of the Indiana University Maurer School of Law.
Areas of Practice
- Personal Injury
- Wrongful Death
- Products Liability
- Automobile Negligence
- Premises Liability
- Wrongful Denial of Insurance
- Automobile Accidents and Injuries
- Bicycle Accidents
- Boating Accidents
- Brain Injury
- Dog Bites
- Head Injury
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Pedestrian Injuries
- Slip and Fall
- Spinal Injury
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
Certified Legal Specialties
- Civil Trial Advocacy, National Board of Trial Advocacy, 1995
- Civil Trial Advocacy, National Board of Trial Advocacy, 2000
- Civil Trial Advocacy, National Board of Trial Advocacy, 2005
- Earned Advocate, America's National College of Advocacy
- Thirty-Eight, State of Indiana
- Martindale-Hubble, National Lawyer Rating Service
- Indiana, 1982
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Indiana University School of Law, Bloomington, Indiana
- J.D. - May, 1982
- Indiana University
- B.A. - May, 1979
- Davidson, Floyd v. Davidson, 558 N.E.2d 849, 1999
- Davidson, Inman v. Farm Bureau Insurance, 584 N.E.2d 567, 1992
- Davidson, Pafco General Ins. Co. v. Providence Washington Ins. Co., 587 N.E.2d 728, 1992
- Davidson, Meridian Mutual Ins. Co. v. Auto-Owners Ins. Co., 698 N.E.2d 770 , 1998
- Davidson, American Economy Ins. Co. v. Motorist Mut. Ins, 605 N.E.2d 162, 1992
- Davidson, Indiana Limestone Co. v. Staggs, 672 N.E.2d 1377, 1996
- Floyd v. Davidson, 558 N.E.2d 849 (Ind. Ct .App. 1990)
- Inman v. Farm Bureau Insurance, 584 N.E.2d 567 (Ind. Ct. App. 1992)
- Pafco General Ins. Co. v. Providence Washington Ins. Co., 587 N.E.2d 728 (Ind. Ct. App. 1992)
- American Economy Ins. Co. v. Motorist Mut. Ins., 605 N.E.2d 162 (Ind. 1992)
- Meridian Mutual Ins. Co. v. Auto-Owners Ins. Co, 698 N.E.2d 770 (Ind. 1998)
- Indiana Limestone Co. v. Staggs, 672 N.E.2d 1377 (Ind. Ct. App. 1996)
- Conklin v. Fisher, 803 N.E.2d 693 (Ind. Ct. App. 2004)
- H.D. v. BHC Meadows Hosp., Inc., 884 N.E.2d 849 (Ind.App.Ct. 2008)
- Regional Seminar, Jury Selection and Closing Argument, Gerry Spence, 2005
- Indiana University Maurer School of Law, Adjunct professor of trial advocacy, spring 2008 semester
- Trial Lawyers College, 2009 - Present
- Indiana Trial Lawyers Association seminars
- Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum seminars
- American Association for Justice seminars
- Faculty, Gerry Spence's Trial Lawyers College, 2009 - Present
Honors and Awards
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review RatedSM by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Selected as an Indiana Super Lawyer by Law and Politics Magazine
- Top 50 attorney in Indiana by Law and Politics Magazine- 2007, 2008,2010
- Super Lawyer, 2004 - Present
- One of Indiana's Top 25 Women Super Lawyers
- One of Indiana's Top 50 Super Lawyers, 2007, 2009 & 2010
- Best Lawyers in America, 2013 - 2016
- Distinguished Barrister, Indiana Lawyer, 2015 - Present
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Monroe County Bar Association , member, 1989-present. President (2005).
- Indiana Trial Lawyers Association , 1992 – present; Past President, 2006-2007; Executive Committee, 1994-2008; Board of Directors, 1993 to present; member, Inducted into the College of Fellows; Indiana representative to the American Association for Justice Board of Governors, 2015
- American Board of Trial Advocates, member, 1994-present, President, Indiana Chapter, 2005.
- American Association For Justice, member, 1990-present; Currently serves on the Board of Governors as a representative of Indiana. Appointed to several committees, including serving as current Vice-Chair of Public Education.
- Gerry Spence's Trial Lawyers College, graduated intensive three week course, 2005. Board of Directors, 2009-2011; Faculty 2009- present. Attended and taught numerous intensive trial practice seminars across the country.
- Indiana Super Lawyers, Ms. Greene was named a “Super Lawyer” in 2004, the first year the ratings were published by Law & Politics” Magazine (a peer rating of the top 5% of lawyers in the state) and has been named every year the ratings have by been published. Regularly listed as one of Indiana’s “Top 25 Women Super Lawyers” and has three times been named as one of Indiana’s “Top 50 Super Lawyers” in 2007, 2009 & 2010.
- Best Lawyers in America, 2013-present
- Served as Adjunct Professor teaching Trial Advocacy for the spring 2008 semester at the Indiana University School of law.
- Rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell.
- Recognized as a “Distinguished Barrister” by the Indiana Lawyer, a publication of the Indiana Business Journal in 2015.
- Frequent speaker at Indiana Trial Lawyers Association, Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum and American Association for Justice seminars.
- Serves on the Development Committee of the Monroe County YMCA
- Appointed by the Board of Judges to the Monroe County Public Defender Board
Past Employment Positions
- Morgan County, Indiana, Deputy Prosecuting Attorney, 1983
- Morgan County, Indiana, Chief Deputy Prosecuting Attorney, 1985 - 1988
- Nunn & Greene Law, Partner, 1990 - 2005